August is typically a month when families are enjoying the time remaining before kids go back to school, young adults return to college, or individuals are returning to work after summer vacation. Unfortunately, as we continue to face the COVID-19 pandemic, preparing to go back for another new school year or returning to the workplace is anything but typical.
At Wholestic Nutrition we understand the critical nature of COVID-19 education and diagnostic testing during this time of uncertainty and provide access to a full array of testing options. However, it is also imperative to focus on your patients’ total wellness, which can help bolster their resistance to many of the damaging effects and symptoms of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Some simple but essential tips that you can relay to help boost resistance, mitigate the impact, and enhance positive outcomes are:
- Minimize exposure to others
- Eat a healthy diet
- Maintain a positive mental outlook
- Stay active
In an attempt to limit your patients’ exposure to the virus, have them create a plan before going out to shop for goods. Ideally, they should put together a breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu, along with healthy snacks, for the week ahead. Encourage them to have fun with this task, ask them about what they might serve, or what ingredients they would need? Talking about a meal plan can be an excellent conversation starter related to adopting improved daily habits and developing a healthier diet.
Optimizing the health of your patients is now more vital than ever. Think nutrition. The healthiest meals emphasize whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, and served generously. Meat portions should be smaller, which will save money and help to keep dietary saturated fat in check. Encourage your patients to make a shopping list and use it! They will be less like to forget items or buy impulse items. Stress the value of stocking up on nutrition-packed foods that will stay fresh for a week or longer.
Think Positive! A healthy mindset is crucial to getting through this pandemic physically and mentally. Help your patients practice positive stress management strategies. Suggest positive activities like walking the dog, calling a friend, soaking in the tub, spending time with their kids, or reading a book. Please encourage them to avoid habits and activities that can sabotage their health like excessive alcohol consumption, tobacco use, or drugs. It is also essential that patients can manage boredom properly and stay busy or engaged; they should resist hanging around the fridge or mindlessly binge-watching TV. Remind your patients to enjoy their hobbies or discover new interests. Some simple activities they can do are:
- Cook a new recipe
- Read or listen to a podcast
- Learn an instrument or play music
- Start a scrapbook or make a collage
- Help their kids with virtual schoolwork
- Make videos or create a new workout playlist
Regular exercise is essential for everyone under normal circumstances. However, here are a few reasons why physical activity is especially crucial during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Exercise boosts the immune system: Research shows that regular, moderate-intensity exercise has immune-boosting benefits that may help the body fight off infections, including COVID-19.
- Exercise may prevent weight gain: Exercise can help burn extra calories caused by dietary changes and offset the effects of sedentary activities.
- Exercise reduces stress and anxiety: Exercise is a proven mood-booster and can help adults reduce stress levels and build emotional resilience.
- Exercise improves sleep: There is evidence that suggests regular exercise helps people fall asleep faster and improves sleep quality. Furthermore, getting a good night’s sleep has also been found to boost your immune system.
- Exercise may be especially beneficial for older adults and people with chronic health conditions, such as diabetes, arthritis, or heart disease. Regular exercise can help to improve balance, flexibility, strength, mobility, and cardiovascular health. Plus, physical activity can boost energy and overall well-being.
In addition to COVID testing options, we offer a robust selection of wellness profiles, individual tests, and Evexia Nutraceuticals to choose from that can help guide you and your patients on their pathway to wellness.